Search this Blog

Friday 27 June 2014

Bobbi Brown's Unsung Hero: "This Foundation Stick Totally Rocks!"

REVIEW: Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick in the shade Natural Tan 4.25 (Mac NC 35-40)

By: Shikha Koli


Bobby Brown Stick Foundation available in 20 shades





My skin type: Dry-Normal

Product Price: $ 42 for 31 oz/9 g
Skin Type: For All skin types                                              

Let me just Blurt it out of excitement: This stick ROCKS! ;) It has changed my life..OK.. lets be less dramatic. It has changed the way I do makeup. After many failed trials and tribulations with various drug store foundations, Mac foundations, Kryolan etc. I think I have finally found my Holy Grail foundation. I say 'think' because a girl always has to have more options. I still have yet to test out the more high end ones like Channel, NARS etc :P Well I like options. So, I will keep a look out for an even better base product, but until than this is my HERO and its for Keeps!

What is it? It is a portable foundation stick with buildable coverage from sheer to full. Available in a total of 20 shades and is in the permanent line of Bobbi Brown foundations. It caters to all skin types. 



According to Bobbi Brown: "It is the one thing every woman needs to have in her makeup bag." I agree! :D

My Shade: Natural Tan 4.25 equivalent to Mac NC 35-40.



What I Love about it: Everything! This is a difficult one because I love everything about it. Right from the packaging, formulation, easy application and longevity. 

First of all it is the correct shade match for me. Phew! It has a yellow under tone (what Bobby Brown cosmetics is famous for) without being too yellow and orange like some Mac foundations. If you know what I mean :-/

I dislike powder foundations for obvious reasons (dry skin) aswell as liquid foundations even though dry skinned people are recommended liquid foundations. But I find them too messy and a struggle. This stick has a creamy formulation. It's not messy and in sits nicely on my dry, uneven patchy skin and most importantly does not emphasize the dry patches nor the fine lines on my face. It is almost buttery soft on my skin. 

NOTE: It is one of the recommended foundations for dry/mature skin by none other then makeup guru Lisa Eldridgehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsN2oQsWs6Y

PACKAGING

The packaging is gorgeous, classy and very elegant. It reminds of the more high end 'Channe'l packaging. The stick is a twist up stick like most lipsticks. It is compact in size and portable. You can just throw it in your purse and take it along with you anywhere for touch ups. Perfect holiday partner! :D

COVERAGE:

It is very flexible and buildable. It is able to go from sheer to full coverage or as desirable without looking cakey. 

It even doubles up as a concealer. You can even use a shade or two darker to your own skin stone for contouring. Wow..Triple Whamy! So it basically is a bunch of different face products thrown in one. A multi-tasking gem! 


Hand swatch: It is quite creamy

APPLICATION: 

Application of this creamy foundation is super easy. You can apply it using your fingers, flat traditional foundation brush, stipple brush, buffing brush, flat top kabuki brush or sponges (beauty blender). I personally like using damp sponges for my dry skin because using brushes on dry skin only exfoliates the foundation and your skin, irritating the skin further.That causes flaky skin and you won't achieve a clean application for a flawless polished look. So in my opinion, for dry skin sponges are the best foundation application tool. I gently pat in and push in the product onto my skin and that way it sits nicely all day. The skin's own warmth warms/melts the product up further for easier application.


blended swatch. Notice the glow?
(swatch only to showcase the glow & not the coverage)

This foundation even gives me this radiant glow to my entire face. Whenever, I wear this foundation, I receive lots of compliments and when that happens you know you have done something right with your makeup. :):):)

It is not a flat Matte foundation nor a dewy foundation. I would say it is in between the two with a slight glow and luminosity quality. 

LONGEVITY:   

As far as longevity is concerned than it stays put without budging for a very long time. It is a good option for long special occasions such as weddings, clubbing, parties, photo-shoots etc. It sits good even in hot humid weather and harsh lights. I personally wore it on my engagement day and I was ready by 9:00 am and it lasted on my face, comfortably all day long, untill I took it off around 7pm. While I was taking it off I noticed my makeup did not have much wear and tear. In fact my face had the glow intact and I still looked fresh. I had to touch up just once during the day on my T-zone area which gets oily in 2-3 hours. 

COMPARISON:

While at the Bobbi Brown store I also happened to try out their Moisture Rich Liquid foundation especially meant for dry skin. I tried the Moisture Rich on one side of the face and the stick on the other side. The Sales lady and me both agreed the the stick foundation looked much better on me and gave a cleaner look.

The Moisture rich liquid foundation was very sheer in its coverage, hydrating too but I noticed it stuck to my dry patches a lot. It just didn't do much for my skin. It is probably a good option for those who have a clear and blemish free skin to begin with and are looking for a sheer everyday foundation. 

Since, I was looking for a full coverage foundation for special occasions which not only gave me a flawless look but hid my lines and dry patches, I gave the Moisture rich one a pass and chose the BB stick.

If I had to compare it to my Kryolan Paint Stick which was my earlier HG foundy and were to choose between the two than I would by far opt for the BB stick because its is far creamier to work with. Kryolan is also a stick foundation and concealer in one but it is on the drier side. Trying to slather that on my dry skin was quite a task. It would just settle into fine lines especially my smile lines and dry patches.

Kryolan is probably a better option for oily skin. Dry skinned should stick to BB stick. 

The Complete Look:


This is how the foundation looked on me on my Engagement post lunch (remember I was ready by 9am).





PROS:
  • Creamy
  • Multi-tasker (concealer+Foundation)
  • Buildable coverage
  • Lasts Long
  • Gives a glow 
  • Even finish
  • Easy Application
  • Fragrance Free
  • Photographs well (No white casts)
Cons:
  • None except some might find it pricey for the quantity you get (9 gm). 





Final Verdict

I don't know what took me so long or where had this stick been hiding from me but Oh boy am I happy I have finally found it. :D I love it and highly highly recommend it. Its a Must Have product in your kit!
Giving it a 5/5 star rating :-*:-*:-*:-*:-* (It exceeded my expectations)

4 comments:

  1. The shade is way too off compared to your arms. Fail shade on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous, Thanks for your comment. Actually It is the perfect shade for me. In this particular picture a shadow is falling on my arms or cud be bad editing.

    It is infact the perfect shade for me and it has been confirmed by many no. of Mua's I have gone to for trails. It matches my neck and bosom area perfectly. My arms may be tanned since I live in a hot n humid clime and my face is lighter than my tanned arms.

    Thanks
    Shikha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing blends so well. Anonymous is a colorist dick head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow gonna try this.. u looking pretty in the picture :)

    ReplyDelete